This is such an ole timey cake. I have looked for one close to this and have combined many different elements and think I have it pretty close to what I remember. It has lots of banana flavor and this is the BEST really is the best cream cheese icing!Cake 3 1/4 cups all purpose flour ~ I like King Arthur unbleached 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda 1 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 sticks butter room temperature 2 cups sugar 3 large eggs 3 large bananas ~ mashed 2 teaspoon vanilla 1 1/2 cup whole buttermilk * Preheat oven to 350 *Prepare your baking pans ~ I used 6 – six inch pans. Note ~ I like to make smaller cakes, 1 for us and 1 for a friend.
- Grease your pans and line bottom with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, baking soda, and salt in mixing bowl set aside
- In a standing mixing bowl and paddle cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy about 5 minutes.
- Add your eggs one at the time making sure each one is thoroughly mixed in before adding the next, scraping down your bowl each time.
- Once all eggs are add and combined add your mashed bananas , vanilla and mix until combined completely.
- Add half the flour mixture then half the buttermilk just until combined do not over mix then add the remaining flour and buttermilk. Make sure all is incorporated completely.
- Pour batter evenly in each pan. Bake about 40 minutes depending on your size of pans may take little less or little more.
- Let cool completely before icing these cakes are better if they sit iced for 2 days before serving. Makes the cake so most and wonderful!
Cream Cheese Icing
This is the best cream cheese icing I have ever tasted ~ THE BEST! 3 sticks of salted butter – room temperature 1 – 8oz cream cheese – room temperature 1 box of 10X powder sugar 2 teaspoon vanilla
- Beat butter and cream cheese in a standing mixer with paddle until light and fluffy about 5 minutes. Once it is nice smooth and all lumps are gone.
- Add powder sugar and mix on low until mixed completely.
- Add vanilla and salt mix in completely about 1 minute.
- Ice cake with an offset spatula, cover and refrigerate.
This is enough icing to ice any of the choices you make ~ it is enough for the 2 six inch cakes or the other combos.